Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Absence, Am I Nostradamus?, The Boston Marathon, and Some Music News

Hey all, Matt here again.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I couldn't make the Hal Sparks and John Caparulo shows due to being in Boston for the marathon. I'll get to that in a minute. As far as comedy at Penn State goes, Hal Sparks apparently had a good set Friday night (Collegian) as did John Caparulo on Monday (Collegian).

Also, remember how in my last post I mentioned how great it would be if John Mulaney would come to Penn State? A few days after that post, SPA announced he would be coming as well for FREE. Needless to say, I am very excited to go and considering I picked the correct comedian to be announced next out of all the comedians out there, I have now accepted the fact that I have been born with the gift of divination. Mulaney will be performing in the HUB on April 24 (Tuesday) at 8PM. Another interesting fact I discovered is that John Mulaney writes for SNL. He is credited with creating the character Stefon, who is played by the also very talented Bill Hader. Check out the link below for another taste of John Mulaney's work!


On to the Marathon. Obviously, I didn't run it. I haven't done anything to physically exert myself since the boxing season ended 2-3 weeks ago. My dad ran it, though. It was his 5-6th marathon and the first time he's ever qualified for Boston. He ran it in a little over 4 hours which was good considering the heat (over 90 at some parts of the race). Overall, it was a fun trip. However, I wish there had been a little bit more time to explore the area more. It definitely got me thinking of checking out medical schools in the area though!

Lastly, let's talk a little bit about some of the music coming to Penn State. Movin' On, Penn State's annual senior send-off and weekend before finals stress relief is now only 9 days away. Headlining the show will be one of my favorite bands, the folk group The Avett Brothers. With them will be another staple of live music festivals, Michael Franti & Spearhead. Also announced was Ludacris, Young the Giant, and The David Mayfield Parade. Before these major acts, the winners of the recent local Battle of the Bands will play. From the event page on Facebook, it looks like the event will begin at 3PM in the fields near Beaver Stadium. Be sure to check it out because like this month's comedy, it's also FREE.

Also, because nothing is better with comedy than a little music, here is what to expect from a headliner like The Avett Brothers.


No comments:

Post a Comment