Wednesday, April 11, 2012

For the Science Nerd in All of Us

Hey Penn Staters,

On April 22, Jeremy Cohen, Raymond Najjar, Tim White and Iliana Baums (undergraduate professors focusing their research on the environment) will have a photo exhibit of their trips to various beaches and seas and also discuss their research on the human effects on oceanic life.  
This exhibit and talk will take place in the Earth and Mineral Sciences Art Gallery in Deike Building.  The event will take place at 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m.

Picture I took in Key West last summer. Can't
wait to go back.
Who doesn't love going to the beach? As someone who grew up in South Florida, the beach is paradise for me.  I have a different kind of respect for everything about this setting.  There is nothing that comes close to the first glance of the clear, blue ocean and the smell of salt.  No matter how stressed I am, going to the beach calms me in a way that nothing else can.  Walking on the sand and seeing the vastness of the water always makes me realize something that a lot of people I know (including myself) forget at times: how big the world we live in is.  It is hard to think that the daily choices we make, such as things we buy and eat, affect this ecosystem.

This is a free and ticket-less event.  Just make sure to bring your student ID.  

I strongly recommend that we all attend.  I heard about it through my roommate who is a geography major, and she said it will be interesting.  Most importantly, attending this event will you knowledge you probably don't have about how to do your part in helping the environment.  


Check out the video above for a glimpse into this unknown world underwater.  The exhibit will include "Reef 'Health' in Curaço -- A Disappearing Underwater World".  
See you all there!!! 
Maria 

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious why it's beaches in particular that remind you how big the world is. I'm not much of a beach goer myself, but what always used to get me as a kid was standing at the edge of the beach at night and looking out over the water. Something about those moments, and how small and insignificant they made my one little life seem has stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Beaches in particular have a special significance for me because that's what I'm used to from my childhood to now, since my parents moved to Orange County, California and that is where I spend my breaks. I just find it amazing how we (people) usually forget we are a part of something so much greater than just ourselves.

    ReplyDelete