Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Beginning, a Review (Lewis Black), and a Few Wishes

Hey all, Matt Woodward here.

The comedian Lewis Black came to Penn State two weeks ago. If this blog was around before then, we could have posted a reminder about it. Since it wasn't, here is the review of the show.

I've seen Lewis Black once before a few years back when one of his tours passed through Reading, PA. I remember really enjoying the show. I also recall that after only about 45 minutes into the show, I was "laughed out" and I mean that in a good way. I couldn't really laugh anymore because the first 45 minutes had had me constantly cracking up. All I could do for the end of the show was smile or let out a quick "hah" at a particularly funny joke. I've seen my fair share of comedians and only a handful have been able to do that.

Black once again exceeded expectations this time around. Once again, 45 minutes in, I was laughed out. Black talked about everything a college audience loves or loves to hate: politics, marijuana, and technology. Despite now being in his 60s, Black is still very sharp and still brings a very relevant view point to social matters. While doing his fair share at yelling at/towards the audience, Black also took the time to remind everyone about what was important. At the end of the show, he gave a few heartfelt words about doing what you love and enjoying college as it is the best time of our lives. Overall, it was a great show and if Lewis Black does another tour near wherever I am in the future, I will probably go.

If you like comedians, don't forget SPA's April Fool's comedy month is now in full swing. Loni Love came last week, but that wasn't a show I had any particular interest in seeing. Just announced for this Friday the 13th, Hal Sparks will be in the HUB for free at 10PM. On Monday the 16th, John Caparulo will also stop by the HUB at 8PM for free. I would go to both of these shows and review them if I could, but I will most likely be in Boston for the marathon for most of the upcoming weekend. Hopefully, there will be a few more shows that have yet to be announced.SPA has been playing it pretty close to the chest this year in terms of announcements.

I'm really holding out for another big name. Last year we had Gabriel Iglesias, Jo Koy, Mike Birbiglia, and Steve Byrne, all of which have had hour long specials on Comedy Central and then some. So far this year, we've only had Lewis Black who would really match that criteria. One of my new favorites is a guy named John Mulaney who is on the rise. Having him come to Penn State would be awesome and since he is not a huge name yet should be rather affordable. If you want a taste of how hilarious he is, check out this story about childhood shenanigans at a local diner. There may be some language.




No comments:

Post a Comment